This weekend workshop focuses on the ability to capture the natural world in art form. It is open to all levels of artist ability. Enjoy the transition into fall by spending it outdoors amidst the colours. Come join us for the weekend to:
- learn to simply interpret the natural world
- increase observation skills
- drawing and painting techniques
- tips on perspective,composition and colour choices
- short demos
- ongoing support and feedback
- open to all levels
Maximum: 16 adults
Marta Scythes is a medical illustrator, fine artist and educator. Her work has been published by Harrowsmith Magazine and Harper Collins (New York). McClelland and Stewart published her illustrations in their best-selling UP NORTH nature series as well as in The Canadian Encyclopedia. She is featured in Canadian Geographic's Trans Canada Trail Guides and The Canadian Medical Association Magazine: Canadian Health. Marta holds a Master’s of Science in Biomedical Communications from The University of Toronto and has created scientific animations for the Hospital for Sick Children and Queen's University. She currently teaches at Fleming and St. Lawrence Colleges and The PEI School of Art. Website here.
The workshop will be held at Queen’s University Biological Station, located near Chaffey’s Lock, about 50 km north of Kingston, Ontario.
Cost & Application
The fee for the workshop is $195. This covers accommodation for 2 nights, 5 meals and workshop fees. Bring your own art supplies! See the list below for more details.
To secure a spot in the workshop (please specify which Session you prefer), send contact information (name, address, telephone #, Fax #, email) and a money order (preferred) or personal cheque for the deposit of $40.00 Cdn payable to Queen’s University to:
Manager and Senior Instructor
Queen’s University Biological Station
280 Queen’s University Road
RR#1 Elgin, Ontario K0G 1E0
Deposit payments will be held until there are sufficient registrations for the course to proceed.
Applicants will be notified as soon as enough registrations are received to run the course. If we do not receive enough registrations and the course is cancelled, deposits will be returned. Once the course is confirmed with enough registrants, if a participant cancels for reasons other than medical/compassionate, the deposit will not be returned. However, if a replacement registrant is found, then the deposit will be returned for a cancellation.
The remainder of the payment for the workshop is payable upon arrival at QUBS, money order or cash preferred.
For further information contact Station Manager Frank Phelan at QUBS (Tel 613-359-5629) (Fax 613-359-6558) (email: email@example.com)
Things to Bring
- bedding for a single bed or a sleeping bag
- towel and facecloth and personal toiletries
- art supplies
- sturdy footwear for walking
- clothing for all weather types
Suggested Material List
All prices listed are estimates (total = $40.00 approx).
- notebook, journal or medium sketch pad
- WC paper: 1 sheet (22" x 30") good quality, 140 lb. cold press
- “Arches” is BEST, ~ $7.00
- Pencils: assortment of pencils …2H, HB, 4B and (*8B ~ Staedtler brand)
- Watercolour brushes:
- 2 - round, # 10 and #12, (inexpensive, squirrel- India) ~ $3.00 ea
- 1 - 3/4" flat wash brush ~ $5.00ea
- 1 - 2" flat wash brush (inexpensive Chinese ~ $3.00 - not a HAKE brush)
- 1 –rigger #6 ~ $5.00ea
- Paints: set of 14 PENTEL TUBES (~ $10.00 set) or any WC paints
- LARGE white palette
- 1 roll of masking tape
- exacto knife
- Staedtler eraser