JOB POSTING: Elbow Lake - Housekeeping and Public Area Cleaner
Elbow Lake Environmental Educational Centre (Queen’s University Biological Station)
1500 Hewlett Packard Lane, Perth Road Village
Background of QUBS:
The Queen's University Biological Station (QUBS) is one of the premier scientific field stations in Canada. For almost 70 years, researchers from Queen’s, many other Canadian and US institutions, and from Western Europe, Latin America, and China have gathered at QUBS to conduct leading-edge research and participate in field courses spanning ecology, evolution, conservation, geography, and environmental science. Comprising two campuses including the Opinicon Campus, located near Chaffey’s Locks in Elgin, and the Elbow Lake Environmental Education Centre (ELEEC; https://elbowlakecentre.ca) located in Perth Road Village, QUBS provides a diverse and rich educational atmosphere that promotes learning and scientific outreach. With over 40 buildings between both campuses, QUBS provides quality living and laboratory facilities to accommodate long, and short-term guests year-round. QUBS facility is also host to public workshops, outreach events, conferences, and training programs.
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Queen’s is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, visible minorities, Aboriginal Peoples, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. In accordance with Canadian Immigration requirements, priority will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents.
The University provides support in its recruitment processes to applicants with disabilities, including accommodation that takes into account an applicant's accessibility needs. Candidates requiring accommodation during the recruitment process are asked to contact QUBS Management (www.QUBS.ca).
The cleaning staff supports the Biological Station mandates by providing researchers, staff, visitors and students a clean, safe and healthy environment. If you have the qualities of a successful Cleaner and meet the minimum requirements, apply now!
Queen’s University Biological Station is looking to hire a part time cleaner to assist with cleaning both guest accommodations (up to 10 cabins, depending on usage) and and meeting and dining spaces (DayLodge, Rec Hall, Main Pavilion, Nature Centre) at the Elbow Lake Environmental Education Centre.
- Minimum Grade 12 Secondary School Diploma coupled with minimum one year of general cleaning experience (or comparable experience)
- Be reliable and honest
- Willingness and ability to understand and follow instructions
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Physically fit, able to lift up to 50 lbs
- Interpersonal skills to deal with a variety of people (co-workers, QUBS users of all types, and the public)
- Reports to the Senior Manager and Elbow Lake Operations & Maintenance Coordinator, the cleaner ensures cleaning activities are completed according to schedule and to a high level of cleanliness and tidiness
- Perform rotation cleaning as required (e.g. steam cleaning carpets, spring cleaning, super cleaning, etc)
- Empties waste bins or similar receptacles throughout the buildings (waste/recycling/compost), and transports material to designated collection points in a timely manner
- Sweep, vacuum, and wash all hard surface floors to achieve standards of cleanliness and presentation as dictated by management (Bathrooms, cabins, offices, corridors, and meeting areas including main pavilion, day lodge, rec hall and nature centre)
- Dust, wash, or polish furniture, ledges, window sills, external/internal surfaces of cupboards, dining tables, shelves and/or kitchen equipment (including fridges and stoves)
- Responsible for planning and/or assist with a cabin cleaning schedule that will meet all of the necessary cleaning requirements in a timely manner (event timelines)
- Prepare beds with linens when requested for events (rarely requested)
- Clean under and behind furniture
- Replenish consumable items (soap, toilet rolls, paper towels) if and when required
- Clean toilets, urinals, hand basins, sinks, baths, showers and laundry facility
- Collect and report any lost and found items (document and store)
- Carry out any other reasonable duties within the overall function of the job
- Communicate to QUBS management in a timely manner with any issues that are likely to affect his/her work which they consider management should be aware of
- Provide support and comply with all safety working standards, assist management in ensuring the safety of yourself and all co-workers at all times
- Must be self-motivated and have the ability to work with minimal supervision.
- All staff are expected to be calm and courteous to colleagues and guests and support a welcoming environment
$17/hour - $20/hour
Hours Per Week:
up to 15 hours per week
Closed toed shoes. Personal protective equipment (e.g., gloves, eye protection, etc.) will be provided.
All necessary training provided.
Please submit your cover letter and resume to Elbow Lake Operations & Maintenance Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org